Alarm Permits

Does the City of Heath Require Permits for Residential or Commercial Alarm Systems?
On September 16, 2008, the Heath City Council ordained that effective January 1, 2009, anyone responsible for the operation of or in possession of an alarm system in the City of Heath will be required to obtain a permit for operation of such system. The permit requirement applies to monitored and non-monitored systems. For purposes of this ordinance, vehicle alarms and alarms designed to alert only the inhabitants of a premise, i.e. smoke alarms, are not considered an alarm system and do not require a permit. A separate alarm permit is required for each street address and each system.

How frequently does the alarm permit have to be renewed?
The permit is good for a calendar year and must be renewed annually by or upon the expiration date.

Are alarm permits transferable?
Alarm permits are not transferable to other individuals or businesses. Should you change your home or business location, your permit automatically expires and the new owners will be responsible for a permit upon occupation of the property.

What is the annual fee for an alarm permit?
The residential permit fee is $35.00/year. The commercial permit fee is $50.00/year.

How do I apply for an alarm permit?
Applications may be downloaded here (PDF) or picked up at City Hall, 200 Laurence Drive, Heath. An application may also be obtained by mail by calling the Heath Department of Public Safety at 972-961-4900. Once you have completed the application, please return the two-page form with a check for the appropriate amount. If you mail in your registration, a receipt will be returned to you by mail if requested. Please make your check payable to City of Heath.

What if I do not apply for an alarm permit?
The City of Heath is allowing a grace period of 60 days from the effective date of January 1, 2009. After March 2, 2009, citizens or businesses that do not apply for a permit are subject to a non-registration penalty of $200.00.

Does the City of Heath monitor false alarms?
Alarm calls will be tracked to identify when systems have not been properly registered or when an alarm system results in excess of three false alarms per calendar year. Penalties for alarm calls in excess of three false alarm calls per calendar year range from $50.00 to $750.00 per occurrence; depending upon the type of alarm system and number of false alarms. There are no penalties for the first three false alarm calls.

City Employment

How can I obtain a job application form?
Job Application Forms and Background Releases are available at Heath City Hall located at 200 Laurence Drive Heath, Texas 75032. Visit the Human Resources page to download an employment application and view current openings.

How do I apply for employment?
There are three ways to apply for employment: In Person – Heath City Hall at 200 Laurence Drive, Heath, Texas 75032 to apply in person, review the current job openings and complete an employment job application and background check release. Fax – The completed employment application and background check releases can be faxed to Human Resources at (972) 961-4935. Mail – The completed employment application and background check releases can be mailed to City of Heath, Attn: Human Resources, 200 Laurence Drive, Heath, Texas 75032.

Can I fax an application for employment?
Faxed applications to the City of Heath Human Resources Department are accepted 24 hours a day at (972) 961-4935. Faxed applications must be complete. Applications will only be accepted for current open positions.

Can I leave anything blank on my application?
The information on the application is needed to process qualified applicants. Incomplete applications may be disqualified.

Should I turn in a resume with my application?
You may submit a resume with your application. It is not required. Any other materials should be kept for the interview process.

How do I know if I am qualified for the job?
Each current position opening has a detailed description of the minimum qualifications relating to the position. Read minimum qualifications carefully to discern that your qualifications are a close match.

Do I have to take a drug test to become an employee of the City of Heath?
Yes. All applicants must successfully complete and pass a drug-screening test and a criminal credit background check prior to any job offer being final.

Who may I contact to ask about the status of my job application?
You will be contacted if you have been selected for an interview.

Will I be informed if I did not get the job I interviewed for?
The appropriate department will call candidates to schedule interviews and subsequently select the applicants to be hired. There are no time restrictions to complete the process. All applicants who are interviewed will be notified when a selection is made.

Can I submit a resume instead of completing the job application form?
No. Resumes without an application will not be accepted. You may attach a resume to an application.

Where is the Human Resouces office located?
The Human Resources office is located in the Heath City Hall at 200 Laurence Drive, Heath, Texas 75032.

Are all employees eligible for benefits?
All benefits are available to eligible full-time employees and a limited number of benefits are available to part-time employees. There are no benefits for temporary employees.

How long do I have to work for the City before I am able to retire?
The City of Heath is part of the Texas Municipal Retirement System. Employees become vested for retirement after five years. Employees may retire after five years and at least 60 years of age, or after 20 years of service at any age.

Does the City participate in Social Security and Medicare?
Yes, the City participates in Social Security and Medicare.

Fire Department

Why is a fire engine sent when I call for an ambulance?
The Heath Department of Public Safety has adopted the concept of utilizing “first responder” dual-trained personnel in fire suppression and EMS. The fire truck, whichs arrives first on the emergency scene, carries all necessary equipment to provide basic life support until an ambulance arrives. Upon receiving a life-threatening call, an engine is dispatched to initiate immediate care and an ambulance is dispatched to provide advanced life support and transportation. This method allows us to provide both fire and EMS services at the lowest possible cost.

What type of fire extinguisher is best for my home?
A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. The extinquisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home and has a rating of at least 2A:10B:C. Look for the rating for the label. It will often be labeled A-B-C and may located at many retail establishments.

Where can I get certified in CPR?
The American Heart Assocaition offers CPR classes on a regular basis. For further information or to register for a class, visit their website.

Can I get my blood pressure checked at the fire station?
Yes. We offer this service free at the Department of Public Safety located at 200 Laurence Drive, Heath, Texas 75032. Please note from time to time our personnel might be absent from the station due to emergency calls or training activities.

Can I get a break on my insurance by installing an alarm or fire sprinkler system in my home?
The State of Texas has passed a law requiring insurance companies to give rate reductions to homeowners who have installed alarm and/or fire sprinkler systems in their homes. Check with your homeowner’s insurance agent for the amount of discount. There are many other reasons to put sprinklers in your home, as well.

Is burning allowed in the City of Heath?
No. The City of Heath has a no burn ordinance. For questions regarding burning, contact the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality at 1-800-687-4040 or visit the TCEQ website.

Public Works

What can I do to help with mosquito control? Follow the four D’s:
1. DRAIN the water. Eliminate all sources of standing water that can support mosquito breeding. 2. Avoid going out during DUSK AND DAWN. Mosquitos are active during these times, especially the two hours after sunset. 3. DRESS appropiately. Wear long sleeves and long pants. Also, make sure that doors and windows have tight fitting screens. Repair or replace screens that have tears or holes. 4. Wear a good repellant that has DEET in it. Apply according to directions.

How can I treat mosquito breeding sites?
Use mosquito fish or other fish species in permanent bodies of water whenever the water will support them. Mosquito fish can be found in other ponds, pet shops or bait stores. Use Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (also known as “Bt”) products such as Mosquito Dunks® to treat permanent water bodies to eliminate larvae. You can use oil treatments on the surface of standing water to kill larvae. Use commercial products according to the instructions on the product label. Be aware that other organisms in the water body may be affected by the treatment.

How can I reduce adult mosquito populations?
Mow tall grass or reduce the amount of brush and other foliage in your area to reduce the resting sites for adult mosquitoes.


How do I report a streetlamp outage?
Please use the Streetlight Outage Reporting Form to report an outage.

Waste and Recycling

When is my weekly trash and bulky item collection day?
Apart from the streets and areas listed below, waste is collected on Mondays for residents west of FM 740; and Tuesdays for residents east of FM 740. EXCEPTIONS: The following streets and areas are collected on Tuesdays: -Stanford Court -Normandy Lane -Foxborough Court -Dunford Drive -Lee Drive & Court -Michael Drive & Circle -Scenic Drive & Place -Linda Lane -Reba Lane -Victoria Place -Skyline Drive -Thomas Circle -Gordon Circle -Hubbard Drive, from the Intersection of FM 740 South to the dead end

What does the weekly trash collection include?
The weekly trash collection includes emptying of the trash poly cart, emptying of the recyclables poly cart, pick up of any other bags or bins set out, bulky items such as furniture and pick up of bundled brush and limbs that does not exceed 4 feet in length.

When is the monthly unbundled brush collection?
The monthly unbundled brush collection occurs during the weeks of the first and third Mondays each month. To guarantee pick up of unbundled brush, please place unbundled brush out no later than 7:30am on Monday morning. Brush should not be placed at the curb prior to the Friday preceding the first and third Monday of each month.

What is the collection size of monthly unbundled brush?
IESI will collect up to three cubic yards, approximately the size of a picnic table, from every single-family household a month. Should a household exceed the three cubic yard limit, the customer will be charged $10.00 for each cubic yard in excess of the allowed amount. By setting the brush at the curb, the customer accepts responsibility for the charges.

What items are accepted with the weekly bulky waste collection?
Items accepted are brush and limbs that are bundled and do not exceed four feet in length; furniture such as couch, chair, mattress, box springs; appliances (Freon must be removed and certified); swing sets that are disassembled; broken down cardboard boxes; debris from minor home improvement projects that are no more than one cubic yard total on collection day.

What items are not accepted?
Items not accepted for trash collection are roofing materials; debris from construction, demolition or remodeling by a contractor; dirt, rocks or concrete; hazardous materials such as herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers or pool chemicals; tires, batteries or automobile parts; liquids such as paints, motor oil, solvents; television sets.

What items are accepted for recycling?
Accepted items for recycling include mixed paper such as newspaper, office paper, magazines or junk mail; plastic bottles and jugs; glass bottles and jars – all colors mixed (no plate glass, mirrors or ceramics accepted); aluminum and tin cans.

Does the City provide trash and recycling bins?
Yes, the City trash collection service, IESI, provides polycarts which includes one 94-gallon rolling poly cart with a lid for trash collection and one 64-gallon rolling poly cart with a lid for recyclables. Polycarts belong to the property, not the owner. Residential customers have the option of exchanging their 64-gallon blue recycling polycart for a 95-gallon recycling polycart. The enlarged cart is $1 extra per month. The polycart may be exchanged by calling City Hall at 972-771-6228.

Water Supply

Who is the City of Heath’s water supplier?
The City of Heath’s water supplier is the City of Rockwall, which is a member city of the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD).

What is the NTMWD?
The NTMWD is a conservation and reclamation district and political subdivision of the State of Texas. NTMWD’s primary mission is to meet the needs of member and customer cities, whether that is the need for drinking water, solid waste disposal or wastewater treatment. NTMWD acts as a regional wholesaler of water to its member and customer cities.

How are water rates set?
NTMWD is responsible for setting the rates charged to their customers. Rates are calculated annually and are based on the projected cost of providing the service. Water rates are set per 1,000 gallons. As our provider, the City of Rockwall charges Heath an administration fee of 10 cents per 1,000 gallons in addition to the NTMWD’s rate.

The rates charged to the City of Heath’s customers are based on a rate study performed by Willis, Graves and Assoc., Inc. The study takes into account the City’s cost of providing water, including debt service and administrative costs in addition to the actual cost of the water. The study also structured the rates to promote water conservation. View 2016-2017 Adopted Fee Schedule (567k PDF).

Why are rates higher or lower in some communities?
In a community with a large population such as Plano, the cost of providing water is distributed over a greater number of customers, allowing for lower per-customer rates. In a low-density community such as Heath, a smaller number of customers share the cost of water delivery, creating the need for higher per-customer rates.

What are the water sources?
Lavon Lake serves as the NTMWD’s main raw water supply source. The NTMWD also holds water rights for raw water supplies from Lake Texoma, Jim Chapman Lake and the wetland facility near Crandall. Additional supplies are available if needed through a water transfer to Lavon Lake from Lake Tawakoni. The raw water supply from Lake Texoma is currently unavailable due to efforts to prevent the spread of zebra mussels, which have invaded the lake.