Rockwall County First Responders Embrace Carry the Load’s Vision for Memorial Day
Carry the Load is a national event dedicated to restoring the true meaning of Memorial Day by connecting Americans to the sacrifices made by members of the military, law enforcement officers, firefighters and their families.
The Rockwall County First Responders will once again embrace this vision by participating in Carry the Load for the fourth consecutive year through activities that include fund raising, welcoming Carry the Load’s National Relay Team when it comes through Rockwall, and participating in the 20-hour Dallas Memorial March at Reverchon Park in Dallas on May 29.
“Every aspect of Carry the Load is designed to symbolize and raise awareness of the sacrifices made on our behalf,” says Chief Terry Garrett, director of Heath DPS.
“Equally important are the funds we are able to raise through Carry the Load that are used to benefit our nation’s heroes in need of assistance.”
Team Heath DPS is part of The Rockwall County First Responders Company, which includes public safety teams from Rowlett, Rockwall, Royse City and Fate, explains Chief Garrett.
“Heath has consistently been among the top fund raising teams, raising nearly $35,000 to date. With the continued support of our community, we hope to continue this success in 2016.”
Carry the Load 2016 Details:
- Carry The Load’s National Relay Team began their journey by foot at West Point, New York, on May 1.
- The National Relay Team will come through Rockwall County during the early morning hours of May 29, leaving the Royse City waypoint at midnight; and Fate at 2 a.m.
- The Relay Team will arrive at the Rockwall County Courthouse by 3 a.m. for a ceremony.
- At 4 a.m., the National Relay Team will continue west and arrive at the opening ceremonies of the Dallas Memorial March held at Reverchon Park. The March begins at 4 p.m. and will conclude 20 hours and 16 minutes later at 12:16 p.m. on May 30.
- Members of the Heath DPS Team will be walking with the National Team both in Rockwall County and Dallas, and all Rockwall County area public safety agencies are involved in escorting the participants to the Dallas County Line.
How You Can Participate:
- You can greet the National Relay Team and attend the ceremony held at 3 a.m., May 29 at the Rockwall County Courthouse.
- You can attend and/or participate in the Dallas Memorial March beginning at 4 p.m. at Reverchon Park.
- You can have a drink! The Rockwall County First Responders Company, including Heath DPS, will host a Carry the Load Fund Raiser on May 21 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Woodcreek Brewery, 1400 E. Interstate 30, Rockwall. Join the festivities for this important cause!
“Last year we had over 250 participants attend the ceremony at the Rockwall County Courthouse, despite heavy rain showers and the 3 a.m. time,” said Chief Garrett. “We are encouraging everyone to come out again to show this great support, and make a donation if they can.”
You can also contact Chief Garrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.