Effective April 4, 2017 the City of Heath Building Department adopted the following Building Codes and NCTCOG Amendments for all residential and commercial building requests:
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- 2015 International Plumbing Code
- 2015 International Fire Code (Previously Adopted)
- 2014 National Electric Code
The Building Inspection Division is committed to providing current and future citizens quality service related to development and code enforcement through the uses of excellent plan review, compliance through applicable laws, continuous education of our employees, and regulating and controling the design, construction, quality and use of all buildings, structures and properties within the City.
See the City of Heath’s Comprehensive Plan (CP) for more information.
The Building Inspection Department is responsible for all plan review, building permits, and inspections for all new construction, additions, and remodeling of all residential and commercial properties.
Please remember that permits are required any time you or your contractor constructs, repairs, alters, erects, enlarges, converts, installs or replaces an existing building or its utility system(s). Work that begins without a permit is subject to fines up to $500.
Some examples of projects that require a permit are:
- Fences (please review changes to the Fence ordinance in 2014)
- Storage Sheds over 120 sq ft.
- Retaining Walls over 24″
- Swimming Pools
- Interior Remodels & Additions
- Outdoor Kitchens/Fireplaces
- OSSF Replacements/Repairs
- Cabanas, Guest Houses, Auxillary Buildings
- Sea Wall Repairs/Replacements
- Window Replacements
- Foundation Repair
- Miscellaneous Plumbing, Electrical or Mechanical work
- Irrigation Systems
Permit information and forms can be found in the Construction and Zoning Document section of the website. If you have questions, please contact the Community Development Department at 972-961-4883 or Code Enforcement Department at 972-961-4893.